Monday, April 14, 2014

The Fight for Freedom: Liberty Asia


There is nothing that gives me and my team greater pleasure and joy than giving back to society.

Yesterday, ABS sold our products at The Pawn Rooftop Market. 20% of our sales went to Liberty Asia - an NGO that supports and fights for freedom from slavery.


Our contribution to Liberty Asia.

 Liberty Asia devises ways and solutions to combat issues like sex and child trafficking, amongst other slavery-related matters. Click HERE to learn more about them and their cause.


The day was perfect - sunny and bright. The setting was brill - a rooftop with plants and wooden planks and the musky but welcomed smell of raclette wafting throughout. The mission was simple:

Sell to raise monies and awareness for the slavery situation in Asia.

Having lived in Phuket, Thailand, for a little while and seeing firsthand the prevalence and soiety-wide acceptance of the sex trade, I have to say this charity event was something I was extremely passionate about. As much as I understand the seeming 'necessity' of sex trafficking within Thailand - higher wages than university graduates to provide for family - I never understood how we, as a whole, could continue accepting this as a mere social norm, or in the case of Pattaya and Patong, using it as a tourist 'attraction'. I find it appalling that we would allow this to happen simply because it's "the norm" or that "nothing can be done about it".

Maybe that's why I'm an entrepreneur. I've been having some talks with friends about how I manage being an entrepreneur - how do I deal/handle the rollercoaster ride of the entrepreneurial career path? My reply is simple:

Hope & Optimism.

Without these 2 values, I would not be fit to be an entrepreneur. As mentioned previously, the life of an entrepreneur is far from glamorous. It is exhilarating to fulfill one's hopes, dreams and desires and to see them come into fruition as a result of one's own blood, sweat and tears. Yet it is also filled with uncertainty, despair and worry some times. The good and the less-than-ideal in equal measure, I would say.

Perhaps it is my hope and optimism in humanity that pushed me to sign up for this charity event and to support such a cause. I believe in change and I believe in the power of the one. One might not be able to topple an entire societal framework; but One had already caused a change by taking the first step towards inducing change.

So here we are. The ABS Team and myself, selling our hearts out at the market.

Noel, Delon, myself and Richard (our new member!)

Our table display & Four Sigma Foods Instants.


Old CACAO bars.

Noel hustling

Delon hustling

The team representing Liberty Asia.


Today's post is short & simple. It's all about Liberty Asia and hope. It's all about freedom and equality for humanity. It's about change and social advancement.

Today, do your part to make the world a better place. 

Begin by believing.


1 comment:

  1. It was so great to see you guys at The Pawn! I polished off your bag of Cheesy Kale Crisps while I was on my veggie detox (and blogged about it too) - it was the main thing that got me through that final day of detox! xx Kit

    ReplyDelete